Friday, July 21, 2006

Jobs Part II

Job 6
Frustrated with all the hard-yakka/difficult jobs that I had done, I felt that enough is enough. I swore to never see or smell the inside of a factory or kitchen again (although it seems inevitable that I may see a factory very soon. But I hope for the best). So, I decided to go into the nursing/caring industry.
My sixth job which was cleaning the homes of the elderly, gave me the needed headstart. Cleaning old peoples' homes is called 'domestic assistance' a polite way of saying 'MBOTCHING.' You know those weekly house-helps we have back in Kenya? Yeah, that was/is me.
(I could not get this job without having a car because they send you tolike 5 different subabrbs in 6 or so hours in a day. Ndio nikaamua kununua gari.) Anyway, this was such a nice job and my employers were extremely good and kind to me. They would call me 'darling' or 'love'...Which employer calls you 'darling'? eish...only mine! he he

I started off with 7 clients. They were all very kind to me and to repay for their kindness, I made sure I cleaned their houses to the best of my abilities. These were the happy days.
There things started to go pear shaped and I started losing my clients. The client that I was close to the most, fell in her lounge room and you know wazee, once they fall, everything breaks. She broke her leg and needed 24/7 care. (She needed a personal carer, not a 'mbotch.') Leaving her was difficult as I had become very attached to her. She even painted for me a landsacpe picture when I was leaving (sob). The next client was a man who had fought in the 2nd World War. He was quite aggressive but a good and very clean man. It was always a pleasure cleaning his clean house. One day though, he complained that I had not cleaned his shower doors well. After he told me, I cleaned them shower doors 3 times and each time he was dissatisfied. It followed that we had an argument and I reported him to my employers and guess what? The next week my employers called me and told me, "Mr X does not need your services anymore. It is not about you...you were not the problem, blah, blah, blah?" Like I was that stupid. I knew it was about me! The next client became very sick and also needed personal care. The other two also became too sick and lazy to wake up in the mornings, so they wanted an afternoon mbotch, which was impossible as I was in school most afternoons. I lost the last two clients because my uni timetable became crazy, so I asked for sometime off until uni was not too stressful, to which my employers agreed.
This made me really respect 'mbotches' because I have been in their shoes. You know whenever I was offered tea by some clients, they would put my cup of tea in the kitchen and they would go and have their tea in their living rooms. My place was in the kitchen, yes. I never felt that it was right to go with my cup of tea to the living room and sit, have a chat with my clients. I have seen this with some mbotches.
When doing this job, I also applied for a caring job...

Job 7
This is my current job. Caring for the mentally and physically disabled. A very challenging but rewarding job. It has it's disadvantages...It's a 45 minute drive to work, the women who I work with have no vibe but keep asking me, if I have met anyone special, if I have a boyfriend, and they keep gossiping and talking about who they hate. Another disadvantage is the event of death..one of the people I cared for passed on, which was very sad indeed.
Advantages...I work with the men most of the time which is outright fun, the employers appreciate you and your work (last week they gave all the employees picnic bags and sometimes we are given movie tickets). To date this has been one of the best jobs.

So, 7 jobs in 5 years, and I am still looking....

No comments: