Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lessons in Entrepreneurship pt 1

I was blown away by this dude; actually more like challenged and intrigued:
1) He quit his (possibly) lucrative job in the US
2) He ventured into his passion before he left the US
3) he took a nose dive into Kenya with the same passion.
3) He zoned in and carried out market research to debunk industry assumptions. I.e. fail and try again cycle.
4) He is leveraging his contacts and resources in the states
5) He is making money, employing people, serviceing the economy, prying open a market.

I mean, it doesnt strike me as an incredibly innovative idea. I bet to the ordinary individual with potentially the SAME idea in his head, there must've been 10,000 reasons why this couldn't have worked. I'm sure we all have our own examples of life altering Ideas/inventions/services that are suppressed from ever seeing the light of day thanks to a myriad of life circumsntances.

But Muthuu Kagio is no ordinary guy. Go on, read about this incredible guy and his sms dating service.

This week my boss has been fond of rubbing this in:
"following the rules is the surest way to failure"
. It took me a while to accept this in its real form, once I restated it as -
"it pays off incredibly well to take risks."


In as much as I'm enamoured by this exploding industry (sms value added services - I'll tell you why in a seperate post soon), I'm more intrigued to find out how we can spawn and permeate more of the same fledging, risk taking culture among Kenyans in the diaspora.

3 comments:

Cowi said...

Indeed huge risks = huge returns

Orkoiyot said...

its actually happening... i.e. fledging and risk taking culture among Kenyans. Just need to have your ears on the ground and u'll see them.

@wangu: by the way, there's a friend of mine who started a loungerie shop- you can check out her stuff here: www.kike.co.ke.

Orkoiyot said...

@wangu: i must add that she's looking to replace the models on her site with kenyan