Saturday, February 10, 2007

Africa, Media, You.

Ever wanted to know how exactly to unlash that perfect kiss??

lol. Well now you do. Theres lots more where that came from; on Videojug.com - you'll never be bored again at work. I take cash and credit cards.

In an era of youtube boredome-killing tube ethos, can you really expect any less?

Seriously - I do NOT have cable tv. I don't have regular hangar arial tv either. My game console, the nintendo wii, has a web browser, so when wageni's come over I switch to stand up from eddie murphy, chris rock, or some other material that is the latest fodder for office cooler musing.

Actually i have this friend who is going to climb kilimanjaro soon - her first time to Africa she is kinda scared shitless. So while we are chatting about it, i decide to see whether theres any stuff on google regarding safaris etc. Wololo i stumble across videos of the mara wilderbeest migration, champaigne breakfasts on hot air baloons etc..Africa is transformed :) Thank you youtube & google!

In fact, so new-media are my TV watching trends that I have been eniterly hooked to a new show called battlestar Galactica - in three weeks, I had watched 3 ENTIRE seasons; over 40 episodes via torrent. So this is not new, but i still find it amazing..

It is a brand new paradigm. I watch what I want, when I want, How I want. That paradigm is not too far away or too far fetched for folks in Kenya either. Broadband penetration is making inroads into African cities through the likes of KDN, UUNET, telcoms Kenstream. (maybe not fast enough) We need that next level of entrpreneurs/matyrs to offer that additional layer of service that will allow us to define our own media.

But at that exact juncture - it hits me. As a mass market - who's watching what in Kenya? Is there even a mass market? What makes for great entertainment for the masses? I was very impressed by the traction gained by Tusker Project fame when i was back home, despite it being an overwhelming port of american idol with east african brands. is the the future of African media? I mean for that staggering 60% or so of Kenyans living under a dollar a day - what does entertainment mean??

Will they be ever in a position to enjoy/laugh what they want, how they want, when they want?? Access media, industry, business, social networks, enlightentment, surprise, knowledge at the click of a button?

That day must come. We have an obligation to make that day arrive. or we might as well be on another planet. We are the web. ALL of us.


powered by performancing firefox

3 comments:

v-key said...

Kijana hook me up with music from torrent bana.I have a list...LOL

Unknown said...

Simple things my dear

1. download bitlord
2. search & find www.torrentz.com
3. click the torrent file to anzisha the dloard in bitlord.
4. Do u know how to access your router? I can patia u a tip in that case...

You and now officially an enemy target for the RIAA! (and MPAA) Isnt it exciting?

Lakini chomoa list - we wont make fun of the kenny rogers I promise..

Orkoiyot said...

Waah! Watching the videojug clip at a cyber is not easy as pie! lol