Thursday, December 22, 2005

Self discovery

After reading Deno's blog on knowledge of self, the idea of self discovery has lingered in my mind. This i realised a few minutes ago... (as i was walking to the kiosk round the corner to buy some airtime for a 100/-... US$1.2). It came to my mind, as i reflected on my activities over the last two weeks, that it is in the company of my peers that i distinguish myself and make a clear identification of my self.

That probably sounds extremely mundane.... i knew that 8 years ago- but its just made full sense. I had the opportunity of travelling to Msa on a retreat with some young adults from NPC - Karen. And i got to enjoy the company of a group of young christians with very strong and different personalities. In my interaction with them, i was inspired by the vision in the hearts and minds of many of those guys. The clarity of mind and purpose... the strength of their conviction in the power of salvation... their hunger for relationships with meaningful purposes... all this got me by surprise. There is actually a hope for this country.

Back to self description... as i interacted with a few of the guys, i saw who i wanted to be like. And the happy part [for me] was that these guys were making the steps that i've been fearing to make. They were... beating the path (so to speak) that i want to take. They had taken the risks that i've been fearing to take. It became much clearer to me, that the faint dreams in my head cld actually materialise and blossom. Oh, it was extremely fulfilling.

That aside, i was also impressed at the sobreity with which these guys discussed women. I've had the unpleasant opportunity to sit with guys who discuss chiles like tomatoes huko being sold at the Tusker stage! But these guys, actually had quite some positive vibe... constructive discussions about relationships & the direction they should take... the prudence and/or imprudence of many things that many guys ordinarily wldnt give too much thought.

The foregoing might sound very ambiguous, but i now believe that the company that i keep or keeps me... , will truly build and mould my character, and contribute (and probably determine) my accomplishments, and shape my future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

droping in to say hi.

Dermapen said...

Thanks for this publish. I find it hard to track down good answers out there when it comes to this subject matter.Thanks for the review!